Monday, September 26, 2005

Change of Heart



Diane had misjudged. She thought she was falling in love but when she looked closely it was a peccadillo of infatuation. It was a brief exit from sobriety that temporarily filled her with hope again. It had been so long, and her life had become dreary. But with time she came back to the conclusion that someone outside her was not going to solve what was going on inside her.

At dinner she was out of sorts. She felt that familiar feeling of the present becoming part of the past. That this would be the last time she would be with him. She looked over and asked, "what's wrong?" She had inadvertently leaked her emotions without realizing it and he was reading her thoughts. It was clear his spirit was dampening as the night wore on. She tried to give off a positive attitude, but it wasn't working.

She said, "I am really tired, I should go." His solemn face knew what this meant and he did not fight it.

Four days later she received a letter:

"I thought about you today and the crazy things I have done. I put my life on the line for you because it felt right. What if it felt right, but I was wrong?

I thought about your spectacular qualities and how you seem to function right, whereas I am full of circuitry bugs and worn out parts.

I thought about how cool you can be: indifference or annoyance hidden barely below the surface.

I thought about how warm you can be and fill my insides with heat and aspirations. How brightly you shine in my eyes when you are moved to do so. You strip me of my armor and protection and am exposed before you.

I thought about all these things,but I thought about them all alone."

She was moved by this odd love letter. "Maybe", she thought, "he is all I really need."
Creative 
Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.